- In Namibia, diamonds account for more than 45% of the country’s export revenue, 7% of the government revenue and approximately 10% of the country’s GDP
- Namibia produces approximately US$0.9 billion worth of diamonds a year
- Namdeb, a Namibia diamond mining company, invests approximately N$2 million [US$296,386] in corporate social development projects annually
- Namdeb is the largest corporate responsibility contributor to the socio-economic development of Namibia
- The Namibian diamond industry employs 3,200 people
- The diamond mining industry is the largest single employer in Namibia after the government
It was transpired at the meeting that, apart from diamonds; Namibia produces gem varieties such as tourmaline, agate and garnet. The representative of the Sri Lankan Ministry of External Affairs mentioned that, they intend to lead a Trade Delegation to Namibia in the near future and those members from the Gem and Jewellery sector those who wish to participate may contact Ajith Perera, Deputy Director General, on Tele No. 2324695 or e.mail him to email@example.com.